Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Review - Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton
Publisher: Random House BYR
Publication Date: May 24, 2011

Blood Magic is chock full of awesomeness. It's a book that grabs you from the beginning - from the first paragraph - and doesn't let go until the last word. Then you sit there amazed by what you just read and can't imagine that the next book you pick up will be able to live up to the standards set by Blood Magic. Or maybe that was just me. Because that's exactly how I felt after I finished reading Blood Magic.

Silla and Reese Kennicott's parents were gruesomely killed. It's only been a few months and Silla is still dealing with their loss and the aftermath. Nicholas Pardee moved back to small town Yaleylah, Missouri from Chicago. He seems angry about about the move, plus living in his grandfather's house he remembers his absent mother - memories he would rather forget.

The graveyard that separates their two homes plays witness to Silla and Nicholas's first encounter. Soon they find that they are connected in ways that neither of them expected.

Told from both Silla and Nick's points of view, it was easy to transition back and forth because they each had very distinct voices. Usually when there is more than one point of view in a book, I find myself liking one of them over the rest. In Blood Magic, I liked Nick and Silla equally. Nick was the big city guy stuck in a small town - at first he sort of came across as "been there, done that" until his interactions with Silla. Silla was just trying to survive her day to day life, until she received a journal from a mysterious person call "The Deacon." The connection between Nick and Silla gave them both a refuge. They could be more themselves around each other and this gave both of them to face some difficult truths about their parents and themselves.

In addition to Nick and Silla's points of view, journal entries provided a look into the past. So there was an interesting back and forth interaction between the past and present. The journal's author filled in some gaps for the reader, but at the same time added to the mysterious atmosphere of the book. Even though the bulk of the action takes place in the present day, the tone was distinctly gothic and mysterious.

This is one of those instances when I wish that I was a more eloquent writer, because there is so much I want to say about this book that I'm not quite sure how to put into words or at least words that form coherent thoughts. I just loved the writing and style and pacing of Blood Magic. I loved Nick and Silla separately and together and their discovery of each other and the threads that connected them was a wonderful thing to witness. And, Ms Gratton knows how to write a kissing scene! I also loved how the villain was disguised and then revealed only to realize that was the tip of the iceberg where they were concerned.

There is a lot more that I could say, but I don't want to let any spoilers slip, so I'll just wrap up by saying that if you like paranormal or mysteries or books with a gothic feel or books about families you should read Blood Magic. Even if you don't, Blood Magic might just change your mind; it's that good.

I have a feeling that Blood Magic is one of those books that gets even better on a reread because once you know what happens you'll be able to pay better attention to all of the little details. And I can't wait to read it again.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so, so, so excited about this book, and while I didn't think it was possible, your review has made me even more eager to read it. Now if only May 24 could get here a bit faster, everything would be perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew this sounds really good!!! I love that it's duel narrative. Didn't know that about this one? Duel Narratives make for some of my favorite books. Can't wait to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments are like cookies; they should be made and shared often.

The Serpentine Library is an award free zone. I appreciate that you may want to pass along an award and I thank you for that. Blogging is about sharing a love for reading and books and I would like to make that this blog's first priority.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...